Friday 6 September 2013

What must the rest of the world think of us?

I often wonder what the rest of the world must think of us, more specifically what must people in developing countries think of us. What would a person from a country that is less developed think  of they way our government pays for parks, garden, public art, even free BBQs? What must parents from a country where food can be difficult to come by, by the way that we can go to the doctor for free. How must the feel about us debating weather or not we want to give our gives immunisation or antibiotics when I am sure there are many parent who are desperate for these things. And what must people from countries that are controlled by dictators that oppress their citizens that are desperate to have a free election think of those of use who throw away our vote?
People have quite literally given their lives for a privilege that many of us take so for granted that we squander it. I am writing this on Friday so I'm not sure who will win but one thing I do know for sure is no matter which bozo wins we will still live in an amazing country, we will still experience safety, freedom, clean drinking water, medicine and education that a large portion of the worlds population can only dream about.
 
I am probably a bit naïve when it comes to voting but I love it. For that one moment I can have my say and my say is just as powerful as K.Rudd or Tony or anyone else. I would never through away my vote. Although this election feels more like voting for who I dislike the least rather than voting for someone who inspires me and I have faith in their ability to lead our country. I still feel that its important to turn up and have my say and to remember that voting for my government is just another one of the privileges that I get to enjoy in this amazing country. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.