Wednesday 4 December 2013

The fourth week of Christmas: Elf Hat

Todays Christmas craft if based on the elf hat from Amy Karol's sewing book 'Bend-the-rules Sewing' and this is not a plug she has no idea that I am blogging about her book but I think its pretty darn good lots of handy tips. Easy to follow and or adapt project.
 
I digress these cheeky elf hats are super easy to make I made two yesterday during Missy nap time and finished off the hand sewing in that magic time of kids going to bed and you going to bed.
 

I made the hats out of pure wool hand dyed from the lovely lady at Felt Inspired. Pure wool felt is more pricy that the synthetic felts you get a most craft shops but it is so much nicer in every way. Nicer to feel, nice to work with, nicer to look at that if you can afford the extra $$ its well worth it.'
 
Step 1: Follow the instructions for the elf hat in 'Bend-the-rules Sewing'. I'm not going to reprint them here because I don't have permission and think it would be bad mojo. Only follow the instruction up until the point that the hat is basically together.

Step 2: Blanket stich around the edges.

Step 3: Cross stich the straps into place.
 
Step 4: Cut two four point stars one smaller than the other.
 
Step 5 : Back stich from point to point on the large star.
 
Step 6: Lay the smaller star on top so that the points are opposite the other point. Use red thread to stitch both stars to the hat. First with a cross the join each point.



Then give the hats to a couple of cute kids to play with, I just happened to have these two cuties at my place. The kids really love playing with these hats, my kids love dress ups. Now my son has requested a full elf costume hmmm maybe I will see what I can do.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.