Thursday 5 March 2015

For what its worth I do not condemn you

I feel compelled to share my thoughts and feelings about Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumarun for pretty selfish reasons, I can't stop thinking about them. And despite having meet the two of them tears fill my eyes when I think of how they and their families must be feeling. My sleep has been interrupted as I have had several dreams of them in the past few weeks. But its not just Andrew and Myuran who fill my thoughts its their families, their friends and surprisingly perhaps, the people directly responsible for their execution.

Now in all honesty I have never been in favor of capital punishment. There are so many reasons I am totally against capital punishment. However in the end I come to a very child like conclusion, two wrongs don't make a right. You will never get a positive from  negative one minus negative one.
I can not reconcile in my mind how someone pulls the trigger on a healthy unarmed person who has pleaded for mercy. I do not understand how that is ok and I don't understand or believe that such an event wouldn't strip you of your humanity. 

I believe in redemption and mercy. I believe that people deserve second chances. From all reports these two men have shown that they are remorseful for what they have done and made ever effort to improve themselves.

I feel so incredibly powerless in situations like these. I'm just one woman sitting comfortably in the suburbs feeling heart broken for Andrew  and Myuran as well as their families. For what it is worth I do not condemn these men, I do not think badly of them and I pray that in the coming hours and days that God's peace is with because I do not believe he condemns them either.

As the beautiful Meshel Lawrie said 'while there is life there is hope'. I will be continuing to pray that justice is done and I would encourage however who express your deepest hopes that you do that for these two men. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.