Wednesday 29 May 2013

Ballo0ns, bubbles and play dough

My little poppet id 15 months old and whilst I can hardly believe where the time has gone she is clearly no longer a baby but a full fledged toddler it time that the activities I find for her need to step up to capture my growing girls attention. So this week we have discover balloons, bubbles and play dough.
 
I had completely forgotten the sheer delight a balloon can bring a little one. And I'm not even talking about those fancy foil helium ones I mean your bog standard balloon. We just blow up a couple and let the kids knock them around. Yes even the seven year old loves to bash the balloon around. Sure the balloon is likely to get popped that's ok it may give them a little fright but the fun out weights the 'risk' and they are cheap so no biggie if you need to blow up another one.
I will admit that I had been weighting for bubbles I love the excitement that little ones get over bubbles. This week I finally bought my girl some bubble mixture and she loves it. She may not be quite up to blowing bubbles yet she loves to cheer me as I blow the bubbles and tries to grab them, simple joy.
 
Also this week we tried play dough. I made my first batch in years (I'll put the recipe below). I have wondered if she may still be a little young but she loved it pulling it apart, squishing it and patting it.
 
With all these things and almost anything at this young they get over it quickly and it can feel a bit exhausting as the toddler goes from one thing to another leaving a trail of distraction behind I think its important to try new ways to play and its so much fun. I would also like to apologies for the photos its very hard to capture the delight of balloons and bubbles so you may just need to give it ago with a little one you know.    

Play Dough

2 cups plain flour
4 table spoons cream of tartar
2 table spoons cooking oil
1 cup sault
2 cups water
food dye

to this batch I added a splash of rose water but this is optional you can also had peppermint essence, lavender, glitter a whole host of things but if your little one is still putting everything into their mouth make sure that what you put in is eatable.
 
Put every thing in a medium size pan and mix together on a low heat until it comes together it will take 3 to 5 minutes.
 
Make sure the play dough isn't too hot before you give it to your little one, but it is lovely to play with warm dough on a cold day.
 

Store in a an air tight container and will last for months.



1 comment:

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.