Tuesday 17 September 2013

making a patchwork pillow with embroidery


The other week I put up a post on how I do my embroidery. I want to show one of the ways I use the embroidery I do because one of the things I really enjoy about working with textiles is the fact that I can make something quite creative and beautiful yet still rather functional.
It you have a look around my blog you will notice that I have used embroidery on several project, tea towels, hankies, embellishing clothing and blankets. For this project I made it into a pillow. My intention is to make a second one same same but different for my kids new room that I am trying to pull together along with my many other projects.


I am not a great one for planning out each step of a sewing project. Rather I have a lose plan in my head and I like to see how it evolves as I start work. However for this project I kept some vital points so that I could share them with you all, for those who are playing along at home.

- The finished embroidery 510mm x 275mm
- The top panels ended up changing the dimensions  on the pillow as I only had a small scrap left but really wanted to use it as I thought it had a whimsical feel like the embroidery.
- I intentionally made it off centre therefore the right side is made up of three piece 60mm x 420mm and left is one piece 80mm x 420mm 
- The back is constructed like an envelop. Of panels green 260mm x 460mm
blue 160mm x 460mm
print 140mm x 460mm
green 100mm x 460mm

I am really pleased with how the pillow turned out. Most importantly I had fun making it, I think that it is important to have fun with your craft projects. Of course we all want them to look great but if it feels like you are giving yourself a brain aneurysm its unlikely you will enjoy the completed project. So relax and enjoy your next project.









 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.