Thursday 28 November 2013

The second week of Christmas: Pyjamas Bag

Please ignore that this post is several weeks late and that I have only posted one Christmas present craft idea so far.
 
This year we have decided to give our kids less stuff that just fills our home and not our lives. So I am making a few things for them (at the rate I am going this maybe the only one that gets finished). The idea of the bags is that I will give them to the with a set of pyjamas in them which I am thinking I will buy rather than make. I am then hoping that each morning my kids will get in the habit of shoving their pj's in there and tossing them on their beds rather than having them on the floor.

Make the bag;
Cut one rectangle 30cm x 35cm
Cut one rectangle 26cm x 30cm
Cut one rectangle 12cm x 30cm

I cut all my pieces with pinking shears to reduce fraying and because I need to replace my over locker.

To personalise the bags I wanted to add my kids names. I attached both names in the same way using fusible webbing but hand stitched around Edith's names and machine sewed around Henry's. I did this just to show the different effect. In the new year I plan on putting up a much more detailed tut on applique.
 
I traced out the names the I flipped the paper over as I needed to reverse the letters when I drew the letters onto the paper side of the fusible webbing. I need ironed webbing side down to the wrong side of the fabric. Cut the letters out and ironed them on the right side of the fabric.
 
I did a basic running stitch with embroidery thread around Edith. For Henry I machine sewed around the letters using a zig zag stitch.





Constructing the bags is very easy. Machine sew the two smaller rectangles so that they are the same size as the large rectangle.
 
Pin together the two sides of the bag. Then sew around three sides leaving to top open.
 
Turn over the top, giving a 2cm hem. Sew down the top leaving an opening of 4cm.
 
Using a safety pin thread thru 75cm of cord to give the bag a draw still then wollah the bag is done. Super easy and this bag design could be enlarged for a reader bag, library bag, toy bag what ever you like.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.