Saturday 7 December 2013

I Love Summer

I think that basically in this life there are two kinds of people those who love summer and those who don’t. It’s not that I don’t feel the heat cause lord knows I do and this now being my third pregnancy that I have been heavy with child thru the hottest part of the year it’s that I dislike winter so much that summer is a relief.  Winter makes me feel sad and whilst I might get hot and sweaty in summer it’s just so much more fun.
Maybe it’s to do with my childhood or the fact that I am teacher so that I always have my biggest holidays over summer. Whatever it is there is an air of excitement and possibility in the air that floats in with the first warm sunny day.  There is a magic about going outside to play after dinner, I love that part of the day when the sun starts to go done and the earth cools off. I still have memories of being a kids and going outside to ride my bike with the other kids in the street after dinner what pure magic.
Everyone seems to relax more in summer. What does it matter if you eat a cold roast chook and salad, who cares if you wear things three months straight, who cares if you spill water it’s all good. Relax enjoy the sun.
Winter is dreary summer in happy. Winter clothes and dark and heavy, summer clothes and light bright and often very cheap.  I love that in summer I can put my washing out on the line and its dry and smells of sun shine a few hours later.
I love swimming be it at the beach; in a river or at the local pool I am cuckoo for splashing around in the water. To me it’s one of life’s simplest pleasures to be floating around in water.  I love playing with the kids as the splash around and am delighted to see the excitement on their faces as they discover the joys of swimming.
I do understand that we have heat waves and scorching hot days that sap all your energy and I am not a fan of those days but I love Melbourne and the way it will always break. I love the excitement of a cool change. I have vivid memories of my mother who doesn’t like the heat standing at the front door wide open muttering ‘the cool change is on its way’ of an evening on a hot day and them when the cool change did hit us all rushing around opening doors and windows to let in the sweet cool air. I love summer storm after a hot few days the way you can feel the air change and shift then the massive out pouring as big rain drops blob down on you. I have been known to stand out in the rain just to sock it all in.
Now just because I love summer doesn’t mean that you won’t hear me whinge on the second or third day of high 30’s I am only human and we don’t have and air conditioner. But then the cool change will come and all will be fine.


 

1 comment:

  1. I love Summer too!
    Finally we see sunshine in Melbourne :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.