Thursday 14 February 2013

Can women have it all?

Its a juggling act


I heard a woman out raged that Bronwyn Bishop had dare say "women can not have it all." Shockingly as a 32 year old mother of two in the midst of returning to work I agree with her.

We can't have it all. Well at least not all at once. There will always be sacrifices and compromise. There are only 7 days in a week, 24 hours in a day. There is no human way you can be physical and emotionally present with your child 24 hours a day and have a job. Even if you don't have a job its a pretty massive call and to be honest I don't think it healthy to never have anytime away from your child. So therefor you may miss moments, your child will probably fall over and you will not be there to kiss it better, they will learn something new, make a new friend and you weren't there. That is OK.

So if a woman dose chose to follow a career or pursue a dream that takes her away from her child at times I think she needs to ask her self "is it worth it?". Is it worth it for the money, the enjoyment, the self fulfilment? And its ok if the answer is yes. And its ok to think yes and then realise that its no but it was a yes. We and our families and our needs are ever changing. Its ok to change and be flexible to that. In my family we are a team, we are all equally important, our needs all valid. I don't think we do our children any favours when we are constantly with them, hovering over them every moment. They will expect that is the way the world work. That their needs are always the most important.

It is simply physical impossible to be in a board meeting at 9am and drop your kids off at school at 9am! You can not possibly do it.
I feel that when woman think that they can have is all they are setting themselves up to fail. Its like saying I will be perfect, and perfect all of the time and no one can be. We are all juggling, compromising and doing the best we can. That's not being critical to women but being realistic with what anyone person can achieve in one day, one week, one year, one lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.