Wednesday 6 February 2013

clothes for baby girl

Sewing for my girl


Judge me as you will but one of the things I was most looking forward to about having children was dressing them in adorable clothes (yes I can be shallow tisk tisk). In particular to dress a little girl,  making her little adorable things to wear. Over the years I have made my son pj and embroiderer t-shirts, made him costumes and loved it but to be honest its not the same as frilly dresses and matching knickers. When I first bought my little girl home I sent husband to the shops to buy girl clothes because I had thought I wouldn't care about dressing my child in boys or girl clothes but I was wrong I wanted to dress her in gorgeous adorable lovely things
I had big plans to make her a wardrobe of clothes but life happens and frankly in the past 12 months there have been many days that I am just grateful that the kids were feed and in mostly clean clothes. So apart from making my little girls christening dress I haven't made her any clothes. This week I changed all that I made her a romper.
I love rompers because while dresses can look so lovely they are very impractical for a crawling baby, they get all up under their knees.
 
I am a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. i can sew a bit but I am by no means a perfectionists and can be guilty of chuck it together, nearer enough is good enough and to be honest if I wasn't like this then I wouldn't get half of what I do done. I saw this fabric a while back and knew I wanted to make a romper out of it. I found a Butterick pattern because I can't draft patterns very well (a skill I would very much like to pick up). So I made a few adjustments to Butterrick pattern B5625 style B. I added the peter pan collar because I love them on little girls and just can't seem to find many clothes with them. I also added the patch pocket to break up the pattern. I'm thinking of putting up a tutorial on how I made the collar and pocket comment or massage me if you are interested and I will see what I can do.
 
Its not perfect but my little girl looks happy wearing it and I had a fun time making it. It really was surprisingly easy and I think that a pretty novice sewer could do fine with this one.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.