Saturday 22 June 2013

The Shame of Plus Size Fashion

For those who know me this will not come as a shock but I am a plus size woman. But what may shock you is that any woman over size 12 is technically considered plus sized but the fashion industry. But generally over size 16 is what we are talking about when we say plus size fashion.
 

On a cruise walking around in my bathers gasp!

Now before I start on my rant I should point out that over the past 10 to 15 years plus size fashion has really improved and I can generally now find the clothes I like that are in fashion in my size but what really bugs me is that I have to hunt it out and that so often in department stores it is shoved down the back, down in the basement like fat women are the worlds dirty little
secret that needs to be hidden away.
 


On a recent shopping trip.

On a recent shopping trip to Doncaster Shopping Town I meet up with a girlfriend who wouldn't be considered plus sized any way you look at it. We were both looking for cocktail dresses as we both have fancy occasions coming up. We looked in the boutiques along the top floor, I knew full well that I wouldn't find a dress in any of those shops that went above my thighs. We made our way into Myer we looked that the gorgeous dresses (I adore clothes) I knew the whole time Alana Hill hasn't made anything for me, nor Wayne Copper or Review but I drooled. I then had to say to my slim friend can we go down to the basement where they hide the fat girls clothes. She looked at me puzzled at first because I am sure she has never needed a dress size 16 plus, so I explained to her that the larger sizes are shoved down below. I few years ago I would have been to embarrassed to do this with a slim friend feeling a shamed that I have to shop in a different part of the store or even in special shops that cater for me but you know what its not me who should me embarrassed it the dam industry that should be embarrassed. I'm a person, my money is as good as the next persons. Yes you could argue that I am not at a healthy weight blah blah blah but this is the body I am in, and dam it, it needs to be clothed and shouldn't I wear clothes that make me feel good and look my best?
Me on the day my daughter got baptised
in  Leona Edmiston dress.
 
I have to say at this point my hands down favourite fashion designer is Leona Edmiston because she has been the extremely brave move to design clothes that fit plus size women. But its a bit said I think that she is the  exception and not the rule.
 
I sometimes feel like fatism is the final piece of discrimination that is social allowed because people can hid it behind the health card. No I am not going to argue that I am the healthiest I could be at my current weight but what I do know for sure isn't going to help me be at my healthiest is to make me feel ugly, worthless and less than my peers. So please department stores, shopping centres and fashion designers let us big girls shop where the sun can shine on us, let us feel beautiful.


Me on my wedding day no real point to the photo
just really liked the way I looked on my wedding day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.