Saturday 6 July 2013

A Christians views on same sex marriage


I am going to make a big call perhaps the biggest call I have ever made on my blog but here it is. I believe that Jesus would be for same sex marriages.
I am not going to get into a debate about where being gay is against God or not but for the record I can’t see what issue God would have to two people loving and caring for each other. I do think that he has issues with unhealthy dysfunctional relationships (and frankly I know a lot of those straight and gay).
I think that Jesus would see same sex marriage for what it is,  a human rights issue.  An issue which reflects peoples worth and self-esteem, peoples legal rights and the way the community values them. On all those fronts I cannot imagine the Jesus that I read about, shunning people for  being in loving, committed, supporting relationships.
As a Christian I don’t feel that God is calling me to judge but to love. And yes this can be extremely difficult at times but  I read  John 13:34 and to me the call is to love.
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
If I want to know how Jesus loved then I read a story such as the woman catch in adultery, Jesus doesn’t stand there rebuking her for being sinful he defends her, gives her dignity and love. John 8:1-11.
Now I fully expect far more educated Christians to argue with me, to point to obscure Bible passages that show that there are scriptures that say that being gay is wrong or that we should be running around pointing out when each other stuffs up  but I can’t help but coming back to words such as;
Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured you. Luke 6:37-38
And most importantly

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

I cannot see how it is anything other than unloving to tell two consenting adults that it is wrong to love, support and care for each other. That their relationship is wrong and doesn’t have the right to be a married.

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand why it has to be called 'marriage' - if two same sex people are in a relationship they now have legal rights etc. Just call it a partnership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calling is a marriage is important for lots of people straight or gay being married isn't important but for myself included the act of standing in front of my family and friends declaring my love and making vows was and is important. This opportunity should be open to all adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca Pincombe7 July 2013 at 06:17

    'Marriage' is a union in the eyes of god. Many people, both gay and straight, see this union as a very important part of their commitment to one another. To refuse same sex couples the right to call their union a 'marriage' simply because is not a union between a man and a woman seems farcical. Why not abolish 'marriage' entirely so we are all on an even playing field... Well... We have legal rights... Why not just call it a partnership?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.