Wednesday 3 July 2013

Retro Recipie

I grew up eating lots of meat and three veg meals. I remember being extremely impressed when my Mum made sweet and sour chicken. Please don't get me wrong I grew up with tasty, nourishing, (budget friendly meals)family meals. So its no great surprise that I that I often think back to these hearty meals and try to make them for my family.

The funny thing is I used to always be trying to make interesting stir fries, curries and other things I'd come up with thinking that I was giving my family a wonderful food experience. Then my dear man told me two important thing 1; he doesn't like my stir fries 2; all he really wants is meat and three veg. And while I haven't been grilling lamb chops lately I do sometime like to make him a treat like these Porcupine Meat Balls, thank you ladies of the P.W.M.U. (Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union) I have adapted one of their recipes.

Porcupine Meat Balls
500gr mince beef
1/2 cup uncooked whit rice
1 finely chopped onion
I teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 teaspoon vegeta
1 tin of tomato soup

- Put everything into a mixing bowl apart from the soup.
- Mix everything up, I use my hands its just easier.
- Roll them into balls a bit bigger than a gold ball. They will get bigger as the rice expands.
- I like to let them sit in the fridge for at least 20min before I cook them as I find they hold together better but if you are in a rush the can be cooked straight away.
- Make up the soup according to the directions.
- Place meat balls in the soup for 30min.
I like to serve this with mash and steamed veg keep it all super simple and the family loves it. Crazy I know who would have thought that a meal with a can of soup would be such a winner but they love its retro charm ;)


I really captured the retro feel this night and over steamed the veggies



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.