Monday 5 August 2013

Cake 5

A friend dropped in today to share some cake, she asked if I was enjoying the 31 Day of Cake. Truth is the best part is haring the cakes, yesterday a friend came and collected the remaining part of the tim tam cake and it gave me a thrill. I was delighted today to make and deliver a cake to a friend who has been a great support of my blog.
I was personally very pleased with the way the cake looked when it left my place, its a big cake so would be great for a party and was very easy to make. But even more pleased when this was emailed to me;
 
Our household is delighted to be a part of the 31 Days of Cake as we all love cake a little too much. Our cake arrived just in time for an early afternoon tea and given it was covered in thick chocolate icing, there was no way we were waiting for later.

Mr 6 has taken to watching a bit of Masterchef before bed most nights and so was keen to re-create a dramatic reveal of the inside of the cake complete with tension-building pauses and gasps. After mounting it on a cake stand we cut a large wedge and carefully pulled it out to examine - the dark chocolatey-brown coating was cloaking a swirl of vanilla, pink and chocolate marble cake. At this point his taste buds took over - "it looks awesome!". Mr 6's piece was demolished in record time.

The occasion gave me a good excuse to break out my late mother-in-law's Royal Albert and have myself a civilised afternoon repast of tea and cake. It also forced me to cut a reasonable sized piece to fit on the delicate cake plate rather than the slab I had been eyeing off.

The cake has a firm crust with a moist interior. The subtle variations in flavour provide some fun for taste buds and the eye. I think it would be a great birthday cake as the firmness would hold up to decorating but hey, any afternoon or morning tea would also suit this beauty as it isn't too rich for everyday.

Thanks Lauren!


  Marble Cake

250gr melted butter cooled
4 well beaten eggs
1 ½ cup caster sugar
3 cups SF flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
A pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cocoa
Red/pink food colouring
Raspberry flavouring

-          Preheat oven 180c.
-          Beat butter and eggs.
-          Add sugar, flour, milk and essence. Beat well for 3min.
-          Divide mixture into three.
-          Add red/pink colouring and raspberry flavouring to one.
-          Add cocoa and if required a dash of milk.
-          To assemble the cake blob the mixtures around the tin, then drag a skewer  through them to help mix it up a little.
-          Bake for approx. 50min.

 When cake is cool cover in a chocolate butter cream.

125gr butter soft
2 cups icing sugar
1/3 cocoa
Milk as required 

-          Beat butter slowly sifting in icing sugar and cocoa.

-          If mixture becomes to stiff add a little milk the mixture needs to be spreadable so it can cover the cake.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.