Wednesday 14 August 2013

Day 14

Until this afternoon it had been many, many years since I made this cake. Its also been a long time since I ate this cake. I can still remember the first time I ate it. My beautiful, quick witted Nana made it for us, we all ohh and ahh at the biscuit base, the moist cake. She assured us it was easy to make and she was right. For a while it was a family favourite, I remember it being made for many visitor, I remember being asked to copy out the recipe for family friends (am I the only child of the 80's who was told to copy out a recipe for their Mum to pass onto a friend?). I'm really pleased to have made this cake today and remember wonderful afternoon sitting at the table as my Nana told as stories that had us in fits of laughter. The cake is as good as I remember, I love it warm with cream but it is also good cold. A word of warning if you do make this cake make sure to grease the tin well.
 

Nutmeg Cake

2 cups SR flour
2 cups brown sugar
125gr butter
1 teaspoon bicarb
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Chopped walnuts, optional
 
-          Combine flour with sugar, rub in butter until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
-          Place half the mixture evenly over the base of a greased and floured cake tin.
-          Dissolve bicarb in milk and add egg then nutmeg.
-          Add all to remaining bread crumb mixture.
-          Pour into tin, sprinkle with walnuts and back for 1hr at 180c.
-          Leave cake to rest for 5min before removing from tin.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.