Saturday 31 August 2013

Day 31!!!

I can't quite believe that it is finished. That I have made and blogged about 31 cakes in the past month. There have been highs, there have been lows. I have learnt a lot along the way, I have learnt;
- That it is honestly not that hard to make a tasty cake from scratch.
- Always grease the pan.
- Don't rush the cake.
- Baking, photographing and blogging about a cake every single day is acutely a lot of work ha ha ha. I wouldn't have been able to do it if not for my amazing man who has often bathed the kids, read stories and cleaned up from the day so I could sort out the post.
- When you have cake you always have friends. Thank you to all the friends who have shared cake with me and an extra special to all the friends who wrote reviews or posted feedback.
 
So now I have done my 31 Days of Cake what will I do with the extra time? But perhaps more importantly how will I manage without my daily fix of cake. Thankfully we have a freezer full of cake so we should be right for a while. I have few craft posts I need to finish and put so you should be seeing those in the next few weeks. I also as always have ideas falling out of my head. The main one is doing the Twelve Weeks Till Christmas, I will blog once a week with a Christmas idea some will be decorations, some home made gift ideas, things to do with the kids and a bit of food. So let me know what you think, as always your support and feed back ,means loads to be.
 
Todays cake was one I was planning on doing the whole time but felt a bit worried so today being the last day I thought I better suck it and do it. It wasn't to difficult but a bit fiddley. The cake didn't drop out the tin like it was meant and I needed to prize it out. The icing I think was the best part, I don't think I will bother with the raspberry flavouring I have now inside I will use really berries as the flavour was so much better. The cake itself is light and fluffy, the raspberries give it a lovely tang.
 
 

Raspberry Chiffon Cake

This cake requites a tube tin which I have never heard of and needed to borrow from a friend. Frankly I am a bit intimidated by this tin.
 
4 eggs, at room temperate
1/4 cream of tartar
1 cup SR flour
3/4 caster sugar
9gr packet sugar free jelly crystals
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
 
1 cup thickened cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar
 
raspberry icing;
125gr raspberries (original recipe says fresh I had to settle for frozen).
2 cups icing sugar
15gr melted butter
1 tablespoon hot water
 
- Preheat oven 180c.
- Separate eggs.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until firm peaks.
- Sift flour 6 times.
- Combine flour, sugar, jelly crystals, water, oil and egg yolks in large bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Fold in egg whites in two batches.
- Spread mixture into an ungreased tube tin. Bake for about 45min.
- Place a piece of baking paper on the bench. Turn pan upside down over paper. Do not more or bump the pan while the cake is cooling. The cake will drop from the pan (this is the part that really had me stressing).
- To make icing push 1/3 of raspberries through a small sieve into a heat proof bowl. Keep remaining berries for decoration.
- Sift icing sugar into the same bowl.
- Stir n butter and enough water to make a thick paste.
- Place bowl over small saucepan of simmering water and heat until spreadable.
- Whip cream and icing sugar.
- Split the cake and spread on cream in middle layer.
- Drizzle icing over top and decorate with raspberries.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Well done on completing your mission. I have been very impressed with the huge variety of cakes that you have made.
    So many tasty recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank hope you try some out and let us know how you get on :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.