Monday 12 August 2013

On the 12th day of cake

A dear friend sent me todays recipe and I to be honest I was a bit sketchy about it. I'm not a great one with what I consider to be odd combinations of flavour but I made it anyway. It was an easy enough recipe, not too fiddly I thought that the beetroot would be messier. The icing isn't what I think of as frosting very runny, I even used less milk than the recipient says.
I took todays cake around to a friends place to share over a coffee and a gossip, we were joined by another friend. Out of the three of us, one really like the cake the other two (including myself) found it a bit odd not very sweet, you could really taste the beetroot. I'm sure for some folks this cake would be tops but not my most favourite.
 

 Chocolate and Beetroot Cake with Cardamom Frosting

2 trimmed washed beetroots
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup hot water
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs lightly whisked
½ cup milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cup SR flour
Frosting;
4 ½ tablespoons milk
1 cup pure icing sugar
Pinch of cardamom
-          Preheat oven 180c. Grease loaf tin and line with baking paper.
-          Wear rubber gloves peel and grate beetroots.
-          Put cocoa and hot water in bowl and mix until smooth. Add sugar and eggs beat with wooden spoon then add beetroot.
-          Combine milk, oil and vanilla. Use a large metal spoon to fold in half the flour then half the milk, repeat.
-          Pour into cake tin bake for about  1hr. When ready to take out of oven allow to stand for 5min before turning out onto a wire rack. 
-          When the cake is cooled mixing frosting and ice cake.
 
I love hearing what others think of my cakes;
 
I was very excited to taste the chocolate and beetroot cake as I love tasting new combinations. I have to say I enjoyed this cake. The chocolate was sweet but in the same mouthful was the beetroot which was savoury. Therefore it was more savoury like a carrot cake than sweet like a chocolate cake, although the icing helped. My kids didn't know the difference and my husband didn't like it. I do believe it was due to him knowing there was a vegetable in it rather than the taste. I would happily have this cake again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.