Saturday 3 August 2013

Third Cake

Today has been wet and cold in Melbourne perfect weather for baking. I have had a lot of fun making this layered creation today. It has been many years since I have made a sponge so was a bit nervous with how I would go. It was actually rather easy, it is a bit of a fiddley recipe and certainly not one you want to be trying to do quickly. Perfect wet weather cooking.
I honestly can't call this a pretty cake but when I think you taste this good you can get away with being a bit on the ugly side. This cake is defiantly not an everyday cake and even I who LOVES cake has been satisfied with small portion. Now what to do with all this cake...

Ready to be smothered in chocolate

Tim Tam Cake

Cake;
4 large eggs
½ cup caster sugar
1/3 cup cornflour
¼ cup cocoa
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp bicarb
50gr butter, melted and cooled 


All ready to eat
Cream filling;
100gr butter, remove from fridge 30min before using
150gr chocolate melted
3 cups sifted icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
4 or 5  crushed tim tams 

Chocolate ganache topping;
300ml pouring cream
200gr milk chocolate
200gr  dark chocolate

-          Preheat oven 180c.
-          Prepare to slice tins.
-          Whisk eggs and sugar with electric beaters until pale and thick.
-          Fold in try ingredients.
-          Fold in butter.
-          Pour batter into tins and bake for 10-12min.
-          When cakes have cooled prepare filling.
-       Beat butter until light and fluffy gradually sifting in icing sugar.
-          Add melted chocolate and milk, beat until smooth.
-          Spread over one cake, over filling cover with crushed tim tams, cover with other cake.
-          Make the ganache by gently heating cream.
-          Pour cream over chocolate, mix until chocolate is all melted and smooth.
-          Allow ganache to reach room tempter, then remix.
-          Pour over cake, its hard to move the cake with ganache so assemble the cake on the plate you want to serve it on.

What ya gonna do with all that cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.