Wednesday 30 October 2013

Halloween


Now I will be the first to admit that I have really just seen Halloween as an American holiday that has no place here in Australia. But ever since my son started school it has been creeping more and more into our lives,ie I am getting more and more sucked in. This year I have gone to more trouble than I have gone to in the past. I craved a pumpkin, have made a ghost costume and we are planning to go trick or treating.
 
Last year we went trick or treating for the first time. We went with some other more experienced trick or treater who put a note it peoples letter box explaining that we will be coming trick or treating and if they would like to be involved then to put a balloon on their letter box. I really like this approach as it means your not lobbing up on peoples door steps who really don't want to be involved.

The costume my son requested is an old but a goodie and super easy, a ghost. He didn't to wear it not only trick a treating but also to a Joey Scouts party so I wanted to make it a little easier to move in.
I started by doubling the fabric to the length I wanted. I then folded it in half again, cutting a quarter circle for the head to go.
 
Then draping the fabric over my son I pinned along where I wanted to sew, to create sleeves. Then I cut away the excess fabric.
 
I cut the bottom to be jaggered.
 
For the mask I sewed a doom shape, cut along the bottom to be jaggered and but two eyes.
 
Ok so the end result is a little KKK looking which truly wasn't my intention but I'm not to stressed about that because my son and his friends have no idea about the KKK and to him and the he is just a ghost.
 
So like me your kids have suckered you into Halloween I hope you enjoy it, it really is rather fun seeing the kids get dressed up and run around together. And if you haven't made a costume yet this one is quick enough to whip up in time :) 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.