Saturday 19 October 2013

Inside Other Peoples Relationships


It is often said that you cant really tell what is going on in peoples relationship unless you are in that relationship. However there at time in our lives when we brush up along side others in a relationship and get to peer in the window of it.
I have been very grateful through my life for the people who have allowed me to have a glimpse into their relationships. My dad moved out of the family home when I was a baby so I have no memories or my parents being a couple and how they worked on the day to day things how they spoke to each other, how they dealt with problems that pop up, what they did when things got stressful or how they divided responsibility. I always thought I would be doomed in relationships because I didn’t understand how they worked. Thankfully I have learnt along the way from those around me.
I was very lucky, during my years of share house living I got to share a massive house with six others. Two of my house mates were a married couple. This is the first married couple I have memories of living with; the way the conducted their relationship taught me an awful lot of how to treat others. They always spoke well of each other, if they had a an issue with the other one they spoke to them about it, they didn’t mindlessly vent about each other but genuinely sort of solutions to problems they maybe having. They taught me that love communicates.
I'm my early twenties when I was young and thought I knew everything I worked in a small office opposite a lady who was older and wiser than myself. She was relationship with a man who used to call her every day. I would roll my eye ‘geez cant he leave you alone’ I would say. She would just smile and say he loves me, I remember her saying one day with a smile ‘I hope one day you find someone who loves you and cares for you enough to call you every day on lunch’. They taught me that love adores.
A few years ago after I had my son and was commencing my journey as a single mother a school friend got together with a guy she meet on line. I sneered that it would never last they were too different, they meet on line blah blah it was all silly. I am happy to say that I was wrong. Last year they got married and they are currently expecting their first child. They taught me that love can be found unexpectedly. 
None of these couples are perfect, I have learnt that relationships have highs and lows but through the glimpses of these relationships when I have been camping with these couples or living with them or watching them at a BBQ I have learnt little bits of how to make a relationship work. I like to think that I have woven these into my own relationship with my husband. I thank these couples for allowing me to peak inside their relationships, they have helped me make my own better. I hope that those around my beloved and I also have the opportunity to perhaps see  inside our relationship and learn small thing from us.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren thank-you for allowing us a glimpse into your relationship and the journey you have been on. May your journey continue with few lows and many highs......also I love the photo of you and Doug outside the church doors. I don't think I have seen that one before.
    I hope you have a good day. I'll be thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.