Saturday 14 December 2013

Happy Festives


At this time every year we hear loads of people saying ‘I just don’t believe in Christmas, it’s all so commercial’ and of course it can be and for some folks it is majorly about presenting giving and getting. For others it is mainly about spending time with loved one, or others getting drunk and partying. For me it is a spiritual time of year, I think a lot about the birth of my Lord and Saviour but that’s just me and it may not be you. So if you think bah humbug to it all then fine don’t celebrate. You don’t have to put up a tree or send cards, you don’t have to go to church or sing carols. But don’t be that jerk who walks around poo pooing on Christmas for those of us who do believe who do celebrate. I don’t walk around during Ramadan saying ‘I don’t believe it, its all just rubbish’ I don’t tell my Jewish friends that I think Hanukkah is crap, I wish them a happy holiday; hope they have a happy time celebrating. I may even have a chat about what it is they do to celebrate and why.  But just because I do that I don’t feel compiled to go out and get a Menorah.
Don’t tell me you only do it for the kids because I think that is rubbish. If it really bugs you don’t do it and teach your children why you don’t want to celebrate Christmas. Because if you use the logic you only do it for the kids are you feeding your kids coco pops every day and letting them what chainsaw horror movies every night because it what they want and you just hate to say no. Grow a back bone and be prepared to share with your children your values, because that is big part of parenting.
I do understand people feeling frustrated by the endless call to spend money at this time of year but if you really don’t want to exchange gifts you don’t have to. I really don’t like giving out pointless gifts just for the sake of exchanging items. For me the reason we give gifts is to remember and show how much God loves us because 2000 something years ago Jesus Christ was born to virgin girl and that child would grow to lead and teach people about the love of the Lord and then pay the supreme cost of giving his life so that myself and my family and all the people earth could have eternal life. So that spending $20 of tea towels for aunt whosey whats it seems pointless, I want to give something that shows that person how wonderful I think they are and they maybe an object they can hold, or spending time with them or doing something to help them or just make them happy because my aim at this time of year is so show a glimpse of God’s amazing love for people.
As adults we are all entitled and free to celebrate what we want when and how we want to. We are so blessed in this country (if you are in Australia reading this) that we have freedom and that freedom means we can choice what we believe and how we express those beliefs. But please don’t be that person who rains on the parade for those of us who do celebrate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.