Saturday 25 January 2014

Considering Australia

Here it is another Australia Day which gives me reason to pause for a moment to think about what it means to me to be an Aussie. I often feel conflicted about being an Australian, as a white, middle class citizen there is so much that I am grateful for but in equal measure I feel ashamed and embarrassed. I think its a kin to the feelings you feels when you think of your larger family, there are some parts of the family story you'd rather not share and some relatives you wish you weren't related to.
 
I know that by being born in 1980 to Anglo Saxon parents in Australia I won the life lottery. I also know that at the same time that I was born and blessed with a multitude of good fortunes including  education, health care and a range of opportunities. That there were others born is Australia who unfairly didn't receive ,e same good fortune. While my children continue to receive the same types of blessings I grew up with I know that families are being mistreated by a government that represents myself everyday that asylum seekers are wrongfully treated like criminals. I am embarrassed that as a country we are yet to recognise legal same sex marriage or make significant changes to help curb climate change.
 
I could continue  on with my many concerns, shames and embarrassments at being Australian. But truth be told for all its faults I am still proud to be Australian because whist our country isn't perfect (I don't think any is) there is a whole lot I love. I am so pleased every time I take my kids to the doctors and they are bulk billed which means it cost me zero dollars to see a doctor woohoo!!! Then on top of that I can get them medicine that is subsided by the government so I can afford to help them get better. I am grateful that when I found myself a single mother that the social welfare system supported me and my son while I studied and raised him. I am grateful that when I see a police car behind me when I am driving my biggest concern is 'oh no am I speeding' not 'are the going to pull me over and beat me'. 
 
For all the faults that I can find with both pass and current Australian governments I am truly grateful for one fundamental right, and that is my right of freedom of speech. I am so grateful that I can right this post without fear of persecution. I am free to share my opinion with anyone who cares to listen and those who do listen are free to agree or disagree. That may not sound like a lot but it is truly amazing to me. So for all your faults and blemishes thank you Australia from the bottom of my heart for making me the woman I am. And as my uncle suggests I wake up most mornings and at least metaphorically specking kiss my passport and say 'thank God I am Australian'.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.