Wednesday 8 January 2014

School holidays fun: Slowing down

For me one of the very best parts of January is slowing down. Not having to stress about the time we get up or be to worried about bed time. Meals happen when we are hungry and food is ready rather than when we can fit them in. We have had lots of fun vegging out in our pj's, going to the park and slow walks to the shops. I enjoy having time to explain how and why I do daily chores to my seven year old who is currently and gratefully my biggest help. After yesterdays food shop he helped me pack it away listening to me prattle on about rotating tins ect. I would like to think that these moments will become part of his memories as he grows just like I can still picture my Nana telling me how to tell if a boiled egg is cooked or my Mum showing me how to chose a good iceberg lettuce.  
 
Today whether or not because I'm starting to get all nesty or just because the opportunity presented its self I made jam. Well Peach Conserve if you don't mind. It was my first time making jam and I didn't really follow a recipe just googled a few and made up my own. I was made all the more satisfying that I had grown the peaches myself which make me feel rather smug when I use the food that I have grown.
 

Peach Conserve
1kg peaches
1kg sugar (I splashed out and got the fancy CSR jam setting sugar)
1 lemon zested and squeezed

Step 1: clean jars and lids super well get all the labels of them then put them in a large saucepan cover in water and bring to the boil for ten minutes.

Step 2: Peal and pit the peaches putting all the flesh into a saucepan.

Step 3: Add lemon zest and juice as well as the sugar.

Step 4: Put on a low heat until all the sugar is dissolved and its become rather watery.

Step 5: Bring it up to the boil, I boiled it for about 5min but probably should have boiled it a bit longer as its a rather soft set.

hint: to see if the jam is cooked enough spoon a small amount of the mixture on a saucer and drag you finger thru it to see if its thickened and wrinkles.

Step 6: While its still hot pour it into the jars and seal. It will set in the jar as it cools down.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.