Saturday 4 January 2014

The country is not the life for me

For those who know me this statement will not surprise you but the country life is not for me! Having recently spent a few days at my sisters place in central Victoria I have come to this conclusion, I was designed for the burbs, it may not be glamorise or romantic but I love it. I love that I have 7/11 a 5 minute walk away, that the city is on a short train ride away, I love that within easy drives I have 4 different shopping centres. I don't really care what that says about me but I want to be near supermarkets that are open 7 days a week and until late.
 
I have had moments over the years in which I have considered making a rural move, I have even verbalised these ideas to my beloved husband who simply shakes his head, he knows me too well. You see when I picture country life I am not considering reality, I am thinking of a Donna Hays cookbooks with images of women wearing soft floral dresses picking baskets full of apples. But let le tell you that's not country life, country life is tank water, animal smells, 45minute drives to the supermarket and watching out for snakes.
 
My sister actually breeds chickens to sell for folks to have for eggs and the like. So there is no shortage of the kids dashing out the backdoor to go find eggs, or the giggles as they watch the roster being 'friends' with the hens and the lovely sight of the hen walking around the yard with her chick. All of which I find heart warming however there in another side to breeding animals that they don't show you on Harry's Practice its the side when you need to turn the rosters into roasters or when a baby chick is very sick and needs to be knocked these are realities that I'd rather not to think of. 
 
Call me what you like but I like my reliable internet connection, I love being able to pop into cafes and  the convenience of shops, doctors, buses within arms reach. I enjoy things being convenient because covenant equals easy and I am basically lazy. So whilst I love to visit the country I don't think anything will quite warm my heart like the view of the city as I make my way back home.




For

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.