Saturday 26 April 2014

Is it just a generation gap?



I like to think that I have a rather modern marriage not that we are swingers or anything so salacious but because we share out the house hold task and the child rearing. We say that apart from gestating and breast feeding there is nothing I can do for our kids that my husband can’t do.


My husband made a roast and you should have heard the praise from my mother it was as if he had figured out a cure for cancer or rescued an elderly lady from a fire.  I cook a meal and its meet with thanks but not the level of amazement that my husband seems to get for cooking a meal.


Perhaps I expect to much. But if I go to a church function without my kids I’m always asked if my husband is  ‘baby sitting’ our kids? I have to bite my tongue because in my house hold its called parenting and we both do it.


A few weeks ago my man and I decided that seeing as we have three children and two in cloth nappies  that we would splash out on a clothes drier. I was extremely pleased with our purchase and showed my mum when she visited to which she said ‘your so lucky that he bought that for you’. It had never occurred for me to feel grateful for my husband buying me a white good. I saw it as us as a team getting something that would make all our lives easier. 


I never think of my husband as the boss and me the worker. I don’t see him as working really hard and me off laying about. I also know that although I work very hard and long hours so does he. We are a team. And when we can we like to help each other out. i am often told that I am lucky to have my husband which I know I am. I am blessed to share my life with such a great man. I'd like to think that my husband was pretty lucky to have me too, that together we mack a great team.

I know that generations gone by or even other couples that things are different. Which is fine if that is what works for you.It just never occurred to me to have a relationship any differently.

 

2 comments:

  1. My husband hung out the washing 'for me' yesterday, isn't he wonderful to do that?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well i'm none or the clothes were his and im pretty sure he wouldn't sleep on any of the sheets or use any of the towles

      Delete

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.