Monday 9 June 2014

A little bit of crumpet

Earlier today I posted a picture saying that today my food dream had come true.  You see I was a fat kid who liked to cook. As a kid I remember looking thru mum's cook books plotting what I could cook and shove in my chubby face. I can remember seeing a recipe for crumpets I was fascinated I had never had a home made crumpet. My mum wasn't keen for me to make probably seemed like too much effort. Well today 25 years later I made crumpets from scratch! They weren't too tricky turned out pretty well for my first effort.

The recipe I used I based on the one from taste but made it a bit simpler because I'm lazy.

Crumpets
  • 2 teaspoons caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast
  • 250ml (1 cup) warm milk
  • 250ml (1 cup) warm water
  • 450g (3 cups) plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 
Step 1: Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
Step 2: cover in cling film for a couple of hours in a warm spot.
Step 3: Heat up a pan with a few egg rings, I wiped the pan down with oil to stop the crumpets sticking. Worked best to only half fill the rings c=gave them room to grow.
Step 4: They took about 10min before they needed to be flipped. The bubbles rose up and when they poped stayed as a hole. The I flipped they and browned the top. 

They were actually much easier to make than I thought they would be, the kids loved them. Will absolutely make them again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
A bit about me… I’m a wife, a mother of three kids, I’m a Christian, a teacher, I cook, I clean, I sew, I paint, I garden. I'm a contradiction of myself, I eat too much drink too but try to keep healthy, I get cross with my husband, I don’t always have enough patience with my kids. I get caught up on the stupid details of life and sometimes forget about the importance of the big picture. This blog is my blog, my space to share, to rant, a place to create I hope you like what I am doing and would love you to follow along.